For athletes who want to take their rowing to a higher level, Summer rowing has become a requirement to do so. Summer rowing has clear advantages over every other season of the year: flattest water, more time to dedicate to improvement, and the highest level of competition. And no program offers a more comprehensive development & training plan than Sagamore Rowing Association!
The Competitive Travel team will provide advanced rowers with a competitive platform that will take their rowing, both on and off the water, to the next level. Our goal is to offer, every summer, all advanced rowers the opportunity to stay fit and improve their rowing skills during the off season time.
Athletes will gain new insight into rowing as they enter a new training program that is both physically and technically intensive under the supervision of experienced Junior level rowing coaches. Part of our goal also includes the recruitment of the best athletes from around Long Island as well as other locations to form a team that will compete at Canadian Henley against some of the top teams in the North America.
The program runs from June 28 – Canadian Henley. Included in the Competitive Travel Team is:
6 Week of Practice & Racing
Practice 6 days a week, Monday–Friday (6am-8:45am) and Saturdays 8am-11am
(An additional optional on the water practice will be held from 9:30am to 11:30am, Monday-Friday, for those who want additional skill work.)
Training Trip to Ithaca
4 Days, 3 Nights (July 21st-July 24th)
Transportation to and from Ithaca
Room Accommodations at Ithaca College
3 Meals a day at Ithaca College
2 Practices a day
Campus Tour of Ithaca College & Cornell University
Meet Coaching Staff from both Cornell University & Ithaca College
Visit Taughannock Falls State Park
Scrimmage against Cascadilla Boat Club
Racing Trip to Royal Canadian Henley
8 Days, 7 Nights (July 31-Aug 7)
Room Accommodation at Brock University
Breakfast and Dinner at Brock University
Lunch provided at the Race Course
Minimum 2 races/athlete
Transportation to and from St. Catherine’s, ON
Rowing Unisuit, 3 T-Shirts, & 1 Hat
This program is based on selection. Athletes will be required to meet the program’s standards from the applications received. The program will be racing both U19 and U17 categories in both sculling and sweeping.
The program goal is to make the fastest boats possible and boat lineups will be made based on this goal. We are now accepting applications for the 2016 Summer Rowing Program.
The program is targeting the following requirements in order to be considered for the travel team:
- Individual Membership to USRowing. A USRowing Membership Application must be completed and accepted prior to Sagamore registration.
- Must be fully committed to being on time and present at every practice. Taking vacations will jeopardize a rower’s potential placement in the boat.
- Must be between the ages of 14 to 18 years old.
- 2k erg score of 6:45 or better is recommended for all Heavyweight males and a score of 7:00 or better is recommended for all Lightweight males.*
- 2k erg score of 7:45 or better is recommended for all Heavyweight females and a score of 8:00 or better is recommended for all Lightweight females.*
- Any athletes that do not turn 17 during the 2015 calendar year are encouraged to participate as well; looking for a 2k erg score of 7:00 or better for all under 17 male and an 8:00 or better for all under 17 females.
- Valid US Passport